Saturday 22 January 2011

Retrospective

So to back track on about books I have read between my last couple... May not be very elaborative as it has been quite some time since I finished them.

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
I really enjoyed this novel. I love John Steinbeck's style of writing. My favourite chapter of the whole book was very near the beginning and dedicated to the description of a turtle crossing the road. It was magical. It highlighted to me the differences in peoples' or, I suppose, animals' perspectives of the world. Each person has their own personal significant events and reacts to events in their own way. I like to think of myself as quite an empathetic kind of person... I also just really like turtles. I think that was one of the most endearing aspects of this book for me: Steinbeck's way of zooming in and out the perspective through-out. Alternate chapters would follow the tale of the Joad family's struggle to find work and travel the long road to the coast, in the background the story of the depression and mass migration of thousands in the U.S at that time. I found the historical context of the novel fascinating as well. I have mentioned before my poor grasp of general knowledge and world history. I really like a novel as a way of gaining an insight into a period of history. I enjoy getting a human perspective on historical events.
One aspect of the book I found particularly interesting was that of prejudice and immigration. People have a terrible habit of picking up the worst in the unkown and have very little sympathy. It made me feel awful, really, as I can relate it to so many things I see every day. Assylm seekers, homeless people. It is so easy to think that these people are not your resposibility, that some how it is their fault they live on the streets or that there is someone else to give them a helping hand. This story just highlighted how easily people can fall out of luck, and how difficult it is to find a helping hand when you need it most. A subject that, unfortunately, will probably always be contemporary.
The end was so touching. The bitter struggle for survival... That sounds really cliched but I really can't think of better words. It was heart breaking when the baby was lost, but also almost a relief. As if an innocent new life shouldn't deserve to brought into such a dire situation. The bitter sweet last scene was really moving. The loss of one life meaning possiblity of saving another...
Enough pretentious waffling for now I think. But really a great read. A firm 9/10


The Accidental by Ali Smith
A peculiar novel about how a young woman manages to infiltrate a family, bonding with each member a bizarre, seemingly very personal way. I found the characterisation of the different family members quite interesting, although not fascinating. I could relate in some ways to both of the children. I particularly liked the daughter who filmed sunrises. Bit of a geek, with no friends. Babe.
I imagine that part of the point of the novel was that this woman was never fully explained and seemed to drift in and out of the their lives with no sense of direction or purpose. I found this quite disconcerting. Who was she? Where had she come from? How was it that she managed to just move in with strangers without anyone mentioning her identity? I imagine these are questions the author wanted to raise, but I wanted them to answered by the novel rather than left to my imagination. I fear I don't have a very lively imagination. I also wasn't really sure how I felt about the physical relationships in the book. The 'stranger' managed to get physical with almost all member of the family - particularly disturbing was her repeated copulations with the 15 year old son in the local church attic. I really don't know how I felt about it all. I suppose she conjured some kind of inspiration and sense of purpose in everyone. Which is a good thing. But the way she went about it seemed very deceptive. I couldn't decide whether or not I liked her.
For these reasons. I'm out. No, but really, for those reasons I didn't really like the book. I was waiting for answers which I never got. The novel seemed to reach no conclusion and I was never sure who I liked and what I wanted to happen. It gets a mediocre 5.5/10

Those are the only two I can remember - so probably doesn't say very much for any others I read.

I'm currently writing this in bed with Holly. We are blogging together. Think the scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the grandparents all in bed together - it's real cosy in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment